IE problem - 128bit cypher strength

astonv 13:42 15 Nov 03

Hi all - I'm on Win98SE, IE 6.0 and AOL 8.0.

My problem is I need to to re-instate 128 bit cypher strength to access my secure sites logon pages. I have been through AOL's online help instructions upto AOL re-installing DUN/RAS files. I then reboot, go online, start IE and I get 'IE has encountered a problem and needs to close' and the usual send or not error status message. So I can go no further. The error signature is :

AppName: iexplore.exe
AppVer 6.0:2800.1106
ModName: srchitbar.dll
ModVer: 1.0.0.1
Offset: 00006052

I cannot access MS IE online help because off 0 bit strength.

What to do next is the question.

johnnyrocker 13:45 15 Nov 03

win 98 cd?

johnny.

astonv 13:57 15 Nov 03

Johnnyrocker

Can you elucidate a bit on the Win98 CD.

BarryKeith 14:11 15 Nov 03

Cipher Strength Appears as 0-Bit in Internet Explorer
View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q261328
SYMPTOMS
In Microsoft Internet Explorer, you may experience the following behaviors:
When you click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu, the Cipher Strength value is 0-bit.

-and-
You cannot connect to and view Web pages on secure Web sites.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Schannel.dll, Rsabase.dll, or Rsaenh.dll files are missing, damaged, or of the incorrect version.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, use the method that is appropriate for your operating system
Method 2: Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Click Start, point to Settings, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
In the Advanced settings box, click Show all files, click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box (if it is selected), and then click OK.
Start Windows Explorer, and then browse to the drive:\Windows\System folder, where drive is the drive on which Windows is installed.
Rename the Schannel.dll, Rsabase.dll, and Rsaenh.dll files (if present) by using the .old extension. To do so:
Right-click the Schannel.dll file, and then click Rename.
Type schannel.old, and then press ENTER
Repeat steps 2a through 2b to rename the Rsabase.dll and Rsaenh.dll files to Rsabase.old and Rsaenh.old.
Reinstall Internet Explorer. To do so, use the method that is appropriate for your version of Internet Explorer:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
Download and install Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 , or reinstall Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 from the following Microsoft Web site:
click here

NOTE: If the Reinstall all items? dialog box is displayed, click Reinstall all components, and then click OK.

Restart the computer. Start Internet Explorer, and then click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu. Verify that Cipher Strength is 128-bit.

astonv 14:15 15 Nov 03

BarryKeith

Thanks I'll get on it and post results.

astonv 14:38 15 Nov 03

BarryKeith

Unable to rename file in Windows/system rsabase.dll. Pop up says Cannot rename rsabase access denied make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that file is not in currently use'.

Any ideas please.

astonv 21:07 15 Nov 03

Thanks for your help all.

Finally got back in touch with my millions. Had to go back to a previous copy of IE then rename .dll files before rebooting and reloading IE 6.0 again. Files were recopied and 128 bit installed, reset boxes in Folder Options/advanced settings, and away we went.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…