IE problem

The Teacher 01:47 16 Nov 03

I remember once removing the facility that shows a list when using the search facilities on various sites, such as Yahoo! that show where I have been before.

Now, for some reason, every time I type in a search query I get a long list of sites that have been visited and I would like to remove this facility but cannot remember how!

Can anyone please help? My wife uses the computer as well and as it is coming up to xmas I do not want her to know where I have been looking for her presents, and I am sure she wouldn't want me to be searching the sites she uses either!

Many thanks

The Teacher

hugh-265156 02:05 16 Nov 03

i think you mean the internet explorer history yeah?

open internet explorer

click tools/internet options

click "clear history"

you can also delete cookies here too if you want

close and reopen internet explorer to take effect

this can also be doe from start/control panel/internet options if you want

The Teacher 02:10 16 Nov 03

No, not the history. That is covered by Norton. It is when I type, for example, "gift shops" into the search box on a page like Yahoo! I get a full list of what as been typed before appearing below the search bar.

The Teacher

hugh-265156 02:19 16 Nov 03

cookies then

i use click here

gudgulf 02:30 16 Nov 03

I prefer to use a 3rd party internet cleaning tool.

These can also clean out all temporary files and other tracks left from web browsing---You
will probably have to pay for one of these programs.

Incidentally, if you are using ie options/tools to clear your history---go into the
" content" tab and make sure auto complete is turned off.
There is nothing worse than thinking you have cleared your tracks only to find that your other half starts typing an address into ie and windows helpfully fills in the rest of an address youd rather she didnt see!!!!!!!

hugh-265156 02:35 16 Nov 03

gudgulf

cleanup is free

one of the best at its job to,very safe.

The Teacher 21:33 19 Nov 03

Problem solved.

The wife had turned on autocomplete. I never use it and so never gave it a thought. How she did I don't know as she is very PC illiterate, using it only for e-mail and occasional shopping.

I think perhaps she got sick of the pop up box asking to turn it on so she clicked yes.

Ta for advise.

The Teacher

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…