IE "pausing" and generally going slow

so3003 08:00 06 Nov 03

Hi everyone

I've had NTL 600k broadband for about 14 months now without any major problems.

Recently (in past 2 weeks or so) whenever I open a new IE window, and even sometimes when I just go to a new url from an active window, it just pauses and does nothing for about 30-45 seconds. The cable modem flashes etc (but zonealarm doesn't indicating no data being uploaded / downloaded), and IE status bar sometimes says it is "detecting proxy settings".

I've not installed / uninstalled anything in the past while, have successfully defragged, ran AVG with latest signature file etc all to no avail.

This is starting to get quite annoying, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas what I could do to get round it?

Thanks
Scott

Andsome 08:34 06 Nov 03

The NTL cable broadband helpline is at local call rate on the telephone, and the staff are extremely helpful. I have no problems at all at present. 0845 650 1021

User-312386 08:37 06 Nov 03

delete all temp files and cookies

also click here , hover over Broadband, then Broadband tools and then click on SG TCP/ IP ANALYSER

This will test your broadband performance

so3003 21:50 06 Nov 03

Turns out I had a proxy which IE was constantly polling, and that was causing the delay. Still a mystery to me how that got into my settings though...!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…