IE "pausing" and generally going slow

so3003 08:00 06 Nov 03

Hi everyone

I've had NTL 600k broadband for about 14 months now without any major problems.

Recently (in past 2 weeks or so) whenever I open a new IE window, and even sometimes when I just go to a new url from an active window, it just pauses and does nothing for about 30-45 seconds. The cable modem flashes etc (but zonealarm doesn't indicating no data being uploaded / downloaded), and IE status bar sometimes says it is "detecting proxy settings".

I've not installed / uninstalled anything in the past while, have successfully defragged, ran AVG with latest signature file etc all to no avail.

This is starting to get quite annoying, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas what I could do to get round it?

Thanks
Scott

Andsome 08:34 06 Nov 03

The NTL cable broadband helpline is at local call rate on the telephone, and the staff are extremely helpful. I have no problems at all at present. 0845 650 1021

User-312386 08:37 06 Nov 03

delete all temp files and cookies

also click here , hover over Broadband, then Broadband tools and then click on SG TCP/ IP ANALYSER

This will test your broadband performance

so3003 21:50 06 Nov 03

Turns out I had a proxy which IE was constantly polling, and that was causing the delay. Still a mystery to me how that got into my settings though...!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…