IE - overwrites the original browser window

Ethelstan 23:18 20 Sep 07

When i click on a link from a google search - the link is opened in a new window - so far, so good.
However, if i go back to the search & click on another link, this is not opened in a new window but overwrites the previous opened link.
Please can someone offer any advice.
Info:
IE = 7.0.5730.11
OS = Windows XP home edition version 2002, service pack2

malcolme 23:40 20 Sep 07

Go to Tools
Internet Options
General
Tabs - Settings
Check that Enable Tab Browsing is ticked.

Ethelstan 23:45 20 Sep 07

Hi Malcolme, thanks for the info. i can confirm that enable tabbed browsing is ticked.

skidzy 23:50 20 Sep 07

Then right click the link and open in new tab.

malcolme 23:56 20 Sep 07

Ive got these ticked only.
Warn me when closing multible tabs
Open new tabs next to current tab
Always open pop ups in new window
A new tab in the current window
No others ticked

Ethelstan 00:02 21 Sep 07

Hi Skidzy, thanks for the info. your suggestion works but i've been using IE for years & never had to use this option before. I'd rather have it working normally, than use this "workaround".

malcolme 00:04 21 Sep 07

Just worked it out when you do a new search press alt - enter then it will open in a new window.

malcolme 00:06 21 Sep 07

skidzy beat me to it :-)

skidzy 00:13 21 Sep 07

Not sure what mouse you are using,but,try pressing the mouse wheel on your links...this should open your links in there own pages.

Ethelstan 00:13 21 Sep 07

Hi Malcolme, thanks for info - i dont wish to sound ungrateful but these seem to be "workarounds" rather than a fix.

malcolme 00:19 21 Sep 07

I think it is the only way you can do it, unless you open a new tab first then do a search, if you find another way of doing it let me know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…