IE not responding DSO EXPLOIT

richcarr 18:04 23 Aug 05

Im still having a problem with IE not responding, Ive downloaded a newer version of IE and it is stil having the same problem.

Broadband connects as normal, but when i open IE it stalls and comes up with not responding.

I think the problem may be this, i run spybot and it finds a DSO EXPLOIT. When i open up the details. Information about a registry change related to IE.

I have to do a system restore so that i can use IE.

Can anyone please help me with my problem.

boot-it-out 18:11 23 Aug 05

The latest version of Windows does have a fix for this problem but you don;t seem to have that - this is the advice from "PC Hell" on how to remove DSO Exploit - you assume all responsibility for following the instructions below ..... after doing this make sure your use Windows Update to update with the very latest fixes.
------------------------------------------------

Follow these steps to edit your Windows Registry. Please be careful however, incorrect changes to the Windows Registry can cause Windows to not boot.

1) Make a note of the location of the exploit shown in Spybot, something similar to:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1614895754-73586283-725345543-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and Press Enter to open the Windows Registry Editor

3) Find the location of the exploit above in the registry by clicking on the pluses(+) next to each title

4) After opening the Zones section and clicking on '0' look to the right window, under 'name' is the key '1004' and the type is REG_SZ simply right click and delete this REG_SZ value.Then right click and create new>DWORD Value, name it 1004, then right click on that and goto modify, give it the Hex Value of 3, Click ok.

If there is only a DWORD Value for the key (in this case 1004), then double click on the key and change the HEX value to 3 and click Ok.

5) Close the Registry Editor and Reboot your computer

6) The DSO Exploit should now be removed and it should no longer appear in the Spybot Search and Destroy log as a problem.

-------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps :-)

Diemmess 18:30 23 Aug 05

If Ad-Aware doesn't clear DSO exploit, there may be other mischief there as well.

The support on this and other sites with programs like HijackThis has changed a lot recently but is worth a scan in Google. If you are a confident spycatcher then try - click here

VoG II 18:43 23 Aug 05

Are you using an old version of Spybot? This was a false detection that was fixed ages ago.

Jackcoms 18:59 23 Aug 05

"This was a false detection that was fixed ages ago".

But, unfortunately, seems to have reappeared with the latest Spybot updates of a few days ago. :-((

canard 19:27 23 Aug 05

click here recommend this mini app for protection against DSO exploits.

canard 19:29 23 Aug 05

click here sorry boobed on last url.

VCR97 20:08 23 Aug 05

For the full history of DSO Exploit/Spybot click here and scroll to 19 Aug., 01:43 PM

richcarr 19:36 24 Aug 05

Ive got 5 exploits shown in SPYBOT, i have changed the one that was listed above.
what do i do with the rest, do i delete them and create a new one, name it the same and then give it a value of 3

cheers

Jackcoms 20:24 24 Aug 05

"do i delete them and create a new one"

Why on earth would you want to 'create' a new one?

You can safely delete anything that Spybot finds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…