IE keeps forgetting the font size

Admiral Hudson 21:33 12 Mar 04

Can anyone tell me why IE6 keeps forgetting my font size? Each time I start it up the font is reset to Medium and I want it to stay on Smaller. If it makes any difference I recently upgraded to Microsoft Office Pro 2003.

canute44 21:47 12 Mar 04

Funny, I find that IE5.5 often forgets that I like Medium font and changes it to Large. I just change it back again. Like so many effects, it just seems to be an irregular quirk of computers.

Admiral Hudson 01:30 13 Mar 04

Well darn Microsoft for making quirky programs, surely there must be some way to make it remember your preferences. Anyone........?

temp003 04:01 13 Mar 04

Trying to get Windows to retain certain settings can be hard sometimes.

You can try manually set the font size in the registry to see if it makes any difference.

Click Start, Run, type regedit and press Enter.

On the left, expand HKEY Current User\ Software\ Microsoft\ Internet Explorer\ International\ Scripts\3

Highlight the "3" key on the left. At the top left, click Registry, Export registry file, and back up the registry key (give it a name and store it somewhere you remember).

With "3" still highlighted, look to the right for an entry with the name IEFontSize. The Data Value at the moment, being Medium, should be 02 00 00 00

Double click the entry. The cursor will be in front of the 02. Press the delete key once, and the 02 value will disappear. Then just type 01 (01 stands for Smaller). Click OK. Exit regedit.

See if the setting takes effect, or is retained after restarting IE or Windows itself.

Admiral Hudson 15:06 13 Mar 04

Well it seems to be working so far (IE hasn't opened up with the medium font so far). Thanks very much for your help Temp003, you're a credit to the forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…