IE, it's all blank!?

rent-a-cop 09:53 05 Nov 03

After using mcafee quick clean lite all the pages I open in internet explorer are blank. Although they appear properly in opera and slimbrowser. Also help and support doesn't work I click on it, an egg timer pops up but nothing more happens after the egg timer goes away. I'm running win xp pro with all patches/updates applied. Oh, windows update doesn't work either, it too is blank. Any Ideas chaps?

MichelleC 10:37 05 Nov 03

If it's not a Mcafee issue:

Look in add/remove to see what updates it thinks are on there (which they probably aren't fully) and delete, reboot. If still blank pages try deleting/reverting ie also and rebooting. If ok go to M$ windows update and 'scan' for updates.

BTW there's been many conflicts with xp and updates. One way is to delete 'updater' and reinstall from M$.

Diodorus Siculus 10:41 05 Nov 03

Try a repair of IE: click here

rent-a-cop 11:02 05 Nov 03

tried the repair, but didn't work, would appreciate any other ideas

powerless 11:14 05 Nov 03
  rent-a-cop 11:52 05 Nov 03

Thanks powerless but still no joy. I neglected to mention that only certain websites are affected it seems. such as freeserve.com and windows update. google, pca work ok. I can't get to system restore to try rolling back to before the mcafee thing because that is in the help and support centre and it doesn't work.

rent-a-cop 16:18 05 Nov 03

^bump^

MichelleC 17:37 05 Nov 03

If it's not a Mcafee issue:
Look in add/remove to see what updates it thinks are on there (which they probably aren't fully) and delete, reboot. If still blank pages try deleting/reverting ie also and rebooting. If ok go to M$ windows update and 'scan' for updates.

BTW there's been many conflicts with xp and updates. One way is to delete 'updater' and reinstall from M$.

rent-a-cop 12:36 06 Nov 03

couldn't get a soltion despite forcing a complete uninstall of ie and re-installing, in fact that made the prob worse. So I opted for a fresh reformat and install of xp from scratch (thats what I get for going the upgrade route in the beginning I suppose. Thanks all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…