IE Homepage Hijack - United Virtualities OOQA OOQA

Taff36 11:06 04 Nov 03

I have just opened up a second Internet Explorer and within 5 seconds it is hijacked. The Words OOQA OOQA appear in the title bar (replacing a word) and I am sent to my home page but with no tool bars or menus.

Repeating the exercise I managed to get a print screen of the transition and see the words United Virtualities appear briefly in the title bar.

What do I do now ?????

johnnyrocker 11:10 04 Nov 03

obtain if you haven't got, spybot and adaware from click here if using xp or me disble system restore while cleansing, that should solve your probs.

cheers.

johnny.

The Lights Are On 11:13 04 Nov 03
  JIM 11:14 04 Nov 03

I do not care for that happening without a warning or choice.Causing problems,as no history in IE browser can be selected plus other items.

Taff36 11:19 04 Nov 03

johnnyrocker

Got both and will run them but why turn off system restore?

The Lights Are On

Can`t get to that link it times out. Can you give me a quick precis or paste a relevant section on this thread please.

The Lights Are On 11:21 04 Nov 03

It was just showing that you haven't been taken over by the wicked ones merly an advertiser - According to other info Ad-Aware should remove it.

>>>Rich media ad firm United Virtualities -- best known for its Shoshkeles "takeover" ad format -- is branching out into new territory with the upcoming release of a browser-rebranding product.

The new offering, dubbed "Ooqa Ooqa," is intended to be used by consumer portals and corporate sites, who could then offer visiting Web surfers a rebranded browser that would feature a graphic -- like a corporate logo -- in lieu of the default gray background of Microsoft's (Quote, Chart) Internet Explorer or AOL Time Warner's (Quote, Chart) Netscape browser.

The rebranded browser also could feature customized tools -- like a dictionary, or a stock chart, for instance -- in addition to embedded hyperlinks. The browser -- and thus the tools -- could be updated every time a user clicks in their browser, so that a stock chart, for instance, would update every time a user visits a new Web page, or a weather icon could reflect the current local conditions.

The Lights Are On 11:23 04 Nov 03

JIM, I'm not sure if your problem is the same as Taff36's or another problem.

Tog 11:24 04 Nov 03

United Virtualities have come up with some software that rebrands your browser and adds functionality such as weather/company reports and other guff but it is only supposed to work if you allow it. There should also be an "off" button.

Taff36 11:25 04 Nov 03

Thanks for that - Do I need to disable system restore though?

Taff36 11:33 04 Nov 03

You got it - there is an opt out sequence and you can opt out for the session or permanently. It seems quite harmless now. All the usual browser buttons were there but I just didn`t recognise them within the AMD Athlon advert body.

Will run Adaware and spybot anyway though.

Taff36 11:35 04 Nov 03

Thanks All - 20 minutes including a fag break is pretty good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…