IE Hijack?

bamfiesler 23:55 16 Oct 04

This is becoming a habit.

I reckon someone dropped something on my PC that re-directs my browser (IE) to a fake site, where I am asked to enter personal details. I think they've made a registry change, but I don't know what I'm looking for; AVG/Spybot/HiJackThis.CWShredder/A2 haven't spied anything, and sysrestore is off.

Any ideas?

SANTOS7 23:57 16 Oct 04

No idea, if you don't tell us what it is or which site

VoG II 00:00 17 Oct 04

Yep, what fake site?

bamfiesler 00:02 17 Oct 04

Basically, every time I try sign in to Ebay, I am taken to a page that looks authentic, but I now know that it isn't. I can't sign in from there, and even when I get kosher e-mail back from Ebay, the link they are asking me to jump to is a spoof!

I could kill the f****r that's done this!

VoG II 00:04 17 Oct 04
  SANTOS7 00:09 17 Oct 04

There is referance to this on page 24 of saturdays Daily star but not much on what you can do about it, but i think common sence must prevail and the best thing to do at the moment is avoid ebay until they come up with a solution as they are fully aware of what is going on

bamfiesler 00:11 17 Oct 04

VoG

I've sent them several, the last one was to suspend the account. I am convinced the problem is with my machine; is there any tool I can use which would spot a Registry change, and where in that chain should I be looking?

I am off to my kip now, so I won't be around to answer an qs, but pl post any help, and thank you all.
Bamf

Stirkius 00:28 17 Oct 04

Try downloading Hijack This - a free program that will get rid of your problem...

bamfiesler 09:10 17 Oct 04

Hijack this finds nothing that I can see which is causing this.

mark2 12:18 17 Oct 04

Check in your hosts file, it's probably being redirected from there

bamfiesler 12:29 17 Oct 04

Mark2,

'Hosts files; sorry, what and where are they??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…