IE has caused an error in dll(unknown)?!

bertiecharlie 19:15 20 Apr 04

I use Internet Explorer on my computer at work and yesterday I received the above error message and IE closed down. It ran perfectly well for the rest of the day. This morning the same thing happened again but it ran ok after that. Operating system is ME.

Late this afternoon I downloaded Pest Patrol from Comet and when I went to Update the definitions I received a similar message saying "PP Update has caused an error in dll(unknown)" I tried it a dozen or so times but with the same error message.

(If it helps, I have AVG and update it first thing every morning and have had no problems with error messages).

I didn't think Pest Patrol was causing the problem but I uninstalled it and installed it again with the same result.

Should I be thinking about downloading Internet Explorer again and will this cause any further problems given that IE is already on the machine? If I uninstall it I won't be able to get to a website to download it!!!

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

VoG II 19:17 20 Apr 04

Try a repair click here

bertiecharlie 19:27 20 Apr 04

Thank you very much VoG. I'll try that first thing in the morning and let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

bertiecharlie 10:23 21 Apr 04

Tried the repair but received a message that "Internet Explorer could not be repaired, run set up again."

Do you know how I run set up?

bertiecharlie 10:55 21 Apr 04

Found Set Up in the IE Folder in Programme Files and ran it but still getting the same message, "Internet Explorer could not be repaired...."

bertiecharlie 14:10 21 Apr 04

Is there anybody there.......?

bertiecharlie 17:13 21 Apr 04

IE6 says it cannot repair itself and in the details section it refers to two missing files and others which are version 5.5. The microsoft site click here suggests that IE needs to be reinstalled when you get these type of errors.

Is it simply a case of uninstalling IE6 SP1 and downloading it again from Microsoft? I have Avant Browser - will this continue to work if I uninstall IE6? If it doesn't I won't be able to download anything. Am running ME remember so I don't think IE6 is an integral part of this as in XP.

The real problem is getting Pest Patrol to update but the first of these error messages referred to IE 6 so I am assuming this is where the problem stems from.

bertiecharlie 13:13 22 Apr 04

Have come to the conlusion that there must be a conflict between Pest patrol and AVG. Couldn't get Pest Patrol to update, even manually from their site. I updated AVG this morning and found an AVG Update file in the Pest Patrol folder.

Have uninstalled Pest Patrol and will just have to put it down to experience.

Closing the thread, but, if I'm correct about this conflict, thought it might be of interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…