IE --hang up on subsidiary pages

telkell 17:24 09 Oct 03

Two examples of the problem.
(1)Trying to book an airline ticket, I got all the flight details, fare ,etc. A small box says 'Click here for rules and conditions', but all I get is a window frame with nothing in it, with the first page showing through.
(2) On one of my favourites, the'Africam' site,
the same sort of thing. I can get the Homepage but clicking to go to one of the webcams is producing an empty window as above.

This is a recent problem, I didn't have it before. I suspect I have disabled something that shoulb 'enabled'

VoG II 18:24 09 Oct 03

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

telkell 22:08 10 Oct 03

Thanks. I followed instructions, but eventually had to phone them. They were very helpful and are emailing me a fix within 72 hours. I await developements. Telkel

telkell 14:24 25 Nov 03

This hass been a saga. There was an initial delay because they had a mistake in my email address. Then they sent a Hotfix download which would not install. Since then I have been in contact 4 times, but still awaiting a solution. The microsoft technical people have gone to great lengths, I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE6, and they have gone through my system and settings. I am awaiting a new promised download to see if that will do it! TELKEL

Jester2K II 14:47 25 Nov 03

Well, have you taken VoGs advice???

Jester2K II 14:48 25 Nov 03

Sorry i missed the one above that said you did. Sorry.

telkell 20:41 25 Nov 03

I have just received a new Hotfix. I can't download it at once as it is half time in Celtic's Euro game and I have to get back to the TV! Will get back to you. TELKEL

telkell 21:37 11 Dec 03

The saga continued. Despite many patient and willing attempts from Microsoft techies, latterly from their Research dept ( who seemed to cure it- with everything back to normal= only for it to be back to its faults when I started up next day.) After this I found a new problem with Outlook Express freezing on start up. I can only get into it now by re-installing , or doing odd things like de-activating everything else including the AVG anti-virus brfore I could read my e-mails.
Today I had a brainwave. I had read about Netscape, and it is usually on the PC cover disc.
I loaded it up and BINGO. Everythings seems better than ever, It is a beautifully smooth operator! I think I'll be staying with it. We'll see.

telkell 11:57 31 Dec 03

I finally gave up on Microsoft, who could not clear my problem, but a couple of days ago I was on this site with a problem about loading software for a new scanner.I had immediate help from jester2,spikeychris, and Gongoozler.
That cleared my scanner problem, but I now find that THIS problem has been cleared as well!
Not only that, but another problem I had with Windows Updates refusing to download has also been cleared, obviously that one solution was a panacaeia! Even more thanks to those mentioned above. This is a magic site!

Sir Radfordin 12:40 31 Dec 03

In some cases oleaut32.dll needs to be replaced using SFC to get subsidiary pages to load. This was very common on Win98

telkell 16:51 31 Dec 03

Yes,Sir Radfordin, I do know that now, but the Microsoft Research Dept somehow missed it. Anyway, as I said before, PCA Helpline is the place to find things out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…