IE frequently showing The page cannot be displayed

Nosmas 21:52 26 May 04

System W98SE, IE v6.0 SP1

Quite suddenly many (but not all) of the pages I am trying to access display "The page cannot be displayed" error message, even pages that I may have viewed earlier in the day.

I have rebooted, deleted Temporary Internet files and again rebooted, but still the problem exists. Some pages display without any problem.

Suggestions for cure please?

BBez 22:45 26 May 04
  woodchip 22:50 26 May 04

If you have a FireWall turn it of to see if there is any difference

Nosmas 23:15 26 May 04

BBez - Can't even access your link. Get the same error message

Woodchip - turned off Sygate Personal Firewall but it made no difference - couldn't even get BBez's link.

Any other ideas please?

woodchip 23:24 26 May 04

Go into Explorer C:\Windows folder look for HOSTS file no extention and moove it to another location on your drive then retry link

Nosmas 23:40 26 May 04

Thanks but no file of that name without an extension. A search of my system shows two files both in C:\Windows - HOSTS.SAM and LMHOSTS.SAM

woodchip 23:45 26 May 04

Check security settings in browser to see if it is set too high if you use IE it should be on medium

Nosmas 00:08 27 May 04

Well I checked and security was already set to Medium, BUT when I clicked the OK button to exit, it took some seconds to get back to the Internet Options window - just as though something was being updated. I then tried BBez's link and another one which had previously failed and both now worked!

Don't know what changed but something must have done, so many thanks for your suggestions and Green Tick now being applied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…