IE encryption- help for a relative of mine

hatrickj 10:24 12 Oct 05

A relative who has an early Viglen desktop with quite small memory and hard disk has had problems with placing an online order due to the low encryption on his computer. It is only 40bit and he is still using IE 5.01.He approached his ISP and was advised what to do and asked me to help.
As it happens his encryption level is set at 40 and the ISP instructions were to
In IE click on Update information link. Follow instructions on webpage. Once high encryption pack installed etc etc.

I downloaded the pack and then tired to install it but was advised that this installation requires IE5.01 Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 6 or higher. Installation cancelled>.

I have tried to find a suitable version of IE 5.x for him without success. Are versions of IE5.x still available for Windows 98 and a system like his with what is now tiny resources, or can I safely download and install IE6?

Due to the slowness of his connection I would be prepared to download to the cd drive of my system but that is XP home. Will that cause any problems?

All your help will be welcome.

BTW I did gently suggest he should consider that his system was time expired.

MAJ 10:39 12 Oct 05

You can safely download IE6 to your computer and transfer it to his computer, hatrickj. Follow these instructions click here it works perfectly. There wont be a problem because you're using XP.

xania 13:17 12 Oct 05

If memory & HHD space is short, you could have difficulty installing and running any upgrades. Suggest you first ensure that the HDD has been defragged, and that you have sufficient contiguous space to store the upgrade.

hatrickj 13:32 12 Oct 05

I am assuming he has the basic 5.01 IE. Hpw much extra space will the upgrade to IE6 take?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…