IE encountered problem and needs to close

Llwydyn 11:36 11 Mar 06

When we click on a link on certain web sites, IE informs us that it has encountered a problem and needs to close. It also gives us the option of restarting and sending an error report to MS.
I have tried the Repair Tool which has been suggested to others who have suffered similar problems, but it makes no difference at all!
The problem only appears to happen after roughly the second or third attempt of clicking on a link.
This problem also appears on other computers in our house - either Windows ME or XP. One thing they all have in common is that I have installed the Google toolbar - could something in the configuration of the computers be restricting access to certain sites?

GaT7 14:35 11 Mar 06

Try uninstalling the Google toolbar & see if that helps - then you'll know if it may be the culprit.

You're not using the Beta version of the toolbar are you? If yes, install the non-beta version (click here), after uninstalling the beta.

If still no joy, send me a message by clicking on the little envelope next to my user name. I'll send you 3 older verions of the toolbar via email, which you can try as a temporary solution. G

Marsh Warden © ™ 14:41 11 Mar 06

Does any of the criteria here click here apply to you.

ACOLYTE 15:33 11 Mar 06

You could try managing the tool bar add on,click tools/manage addons in IE highlight the google one and disable it,if the error goes away then that ws the culprit.There should be 2 the toolbar and helper both using the same .dll file.
saves uu uninstalling the tool bar if its not the problem.

Llwydyn 20:20 11 Mar 06

Thanks all for your suggestions - tried disabling and removing the Google toolbar, but problem persists.
Tried also disabling 'Smart Tags Support for Internet Explorer' as suggested on the MS Help and Support site which was mentioned by Marsh Warden © ™ (but there is no mention of 'Smart Tags Support for Internet Explorer' on the Advance tab on my computer!).

wobblymike 21:46 11 Mar 06

If its any help I had the same problem - having tried everything to cure it I ended up reformatting and reinstalling windows - drastic but it fixed the problem.

Llwydyn 23:10 11 Mar 06

Thanks wobblymike. This computer's served me well (Evesham Win ME)and I still prefer to use it instead of the other more recent computers which my kids have. May well be that it requires more drastic surgery than the daily/weekly attention it gets.
I've noticed that when I click on the links on this site that it never has this problem. The latest site I've been accessing is the AVForums.com site - when I click on a hyperlink - again on the second/third attempt (even if not the same hyperlink) IE encounters this problem. I wonder if just reinstalling Windows ME over the existing OS would do? (However, as I stated earlier - my eldest daughter's computer - Win XP also has this problem).

rdave13 23:18 11 Mar 06

In xp broken hyperlinks should be cured by going to IE > tools >internet options > select programs tab > click on Reset web settings.

Check that "IE should check to see whether it is the default browser" is selected. > click ok.

I would then reeboot.

Llwydyn 23:44 11 Mar 06

Just tried your suggestion Rdave13 (although on Win ME), but problem persists.
I doubt that the problem arises due to broken links - for example, first attempt at opening a hyperlink usually results in success - if I then close the web page that has been opened by clicking on the hyperlink and clicking on it a second time - that is when the problem arises and the message is displayed.
Thanks for your suggestion.

rdave13 00:22 12 Mar 06

Have you tried scandisk ? click here

GaT7 01:21 12 Mar 06

With the G'bar uninstalled try an IE-repair again.

If you haven't done so already, try the sfc /scannow IE-repair for the WinXP PC(s) click here (this doesn't apply to WinME click here). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…