IE does not find some sites.

TC 23:59 04 Jul 03

I think I have a rather strange problem. I know the site is working, yet IE says 404 site not found.
How do I know it is working.
I have XP loaded twice on my system. The back up XP works fine, I can view the site, but in the main XP IE says 404 site not found.

So I installed netscape 7.1 thinking it was IE with the problem, but I get the same error. What could be stopping me from seeing a particulare site, also many sites are loaded and at the bottom right says done with errors.
I use Zone Alarm, but I did shut this down so that I was sure it was not the cause, but still the same.

I do have a newer USB driver for my modem on the main XP set up.
I might try and re install the older driver, even though I can't see this would be the problem, but I don't know what else to try.

Regards
Anthony

Jamie.com 10:42 05 Jul 03

It might be down to your cookie setup, have a look at this website for more infomation and go to click here
and go to the Tools/Internet Options/Privacy menu. This menu allows you to select how discriminating the browser will be when accepting cookies, based on two factors -- (1) the source of the cookie, and (2) whether the source has a "privacy policy." There are also features for the advanced user, if you'd like to have a greater control over cookies.

A DNS problem.....

What ISP are you using and what connection??

I know that NTL are having DNS problem's( a few of my mates have gone to proxy servers to solve this)

TC 12:44 05 Jul 03

Thanks for the answers. I don't think it is a DNS problem, becuase if I run my back XP everything works fine.
I thought it was my modem, but I just logged on using my mobile phone and still have the same problem.

I deleted all the cookies so that I could start again, then I installed NetScape, that still has the same problem.

I just get site not found when I know it is there.
Thanks for the help will keep trying.

Anthony

TC 02:01 06 Jul 03

Now this is odd. My notebook connected via my PC could not view this site. I connected via my phone, I got the site. I viewed a few pages then logged off the phone and connected back via the PC again.

The notebook can now see the entire site. I e-mailed myself a page in the hope that once it is in the browser it will work, but no luck yet.
It appears in the mail as html, but I can not get it to appear in the browser.
Anthony

hugh-265156 02:13 06 Jul 03

is this ntl by any chance?

i and some others using it cannot view some sites while others using different isp`s can.will try to find the thread.

hugh-265156 02:15 06 Jul 03

here it is click here i still cant access it.

TC 02:49 06 Jul 03

@huggy
No I am on freeserve.

I get not found, I have had not auth etc, it was my firewall.
turn of your firewall, XP has built in firewall.
Or look in IE setup.

I acctually get URL not found. Even if I use my notebook through my PC, If I then connect with a phone, the notebook works, even if I disconnect the phone, but if I then close the window, when I openit again I get not found.

anthony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…