IE does not connect to the internet

sharkfin 00:55 09 Oct 05

hi,

Just switched on my PC to browse the internet and discovered for some reason that IE no longer connects to the net. I double click on IE and the browser opens but it just stays blank. The status bar at the bottom is also blank. Normally it would say 'opening.....' and show the progress bar but now nothing. I tried unistalling and reinstalling IE and also 'sfc /scannow' but to no avail. So I had to install firefox from a cd-rom and connect pcadvisor via that way. My interent is working fine. MSN is fine and updating other software is fine so its just IE.

Is there another way to fix IE or repair it? I dont know whats going on.

Diodorus Siculus 07:50 09 Oct 05

click here
How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

sharkfin 13:36 09 Oct 05

Diodorus Siculus,

Thankyou, but the link does not work for some reason. can you repost it please?

amonra 13:41 09 Oct 05

Firewall ??? If installed, check on what's allowed.

Hamish 13:54 09 Oct 05

Try this links . hope it works.
click here

Hamish 13:57 09 Oct 05

P.S. If you can have you tried system restore

sharkfin 14:06 09 Oct 05

Hello.

I have tried disabling Firewalls and antivirus but it still doesnt want to opena webpage for some reason. Have Tried a repair via sfc /scannow and also resinstalling IE from the XP installation disk just now. But still nothing...grrrr. lol.

I only just reinstalled XP yesterday morning and everything was working fine until later that night when I switched the pc off. I switched it back on again and it stopped working. I think the only option is to do another reinstall of XP but I will wait a bit for some more advice.

I'm happy to go along without IE and use Firefox but I cant get to the microsft update site without IE.

sharkfin 14:16 09 Oct 05

Hi, just tried a system restore and rolled back to the last thing I did which was install itunes 5 and guess what? ITS ALL WORKING AGAIN!

I didnt even think about system restore as I never tried it before. lol.

Great! thanks to everyone that helped!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…