I.E. desktop Icon gone missing

osben 13:28 08 Dec 04

I seem to have lost the IE icon on my desktop.

IE is still on the computer.

I have tried to get it back via settings/taskbar & start menu but don't seem to be able to find the icon.

I don't want to have to reload IE as I don't want to loose my "favourites" list that I have set up in it.

Can anyone help please.

ACOLYTE 13:31 08 Dec 04

Navigate to the IE folder usually c/prog files/internet explorer,right click the icon and sebt to desk top as short cut.

Jackcoms 13:32 08 Dec 04

Create a new one.

Start; All Programs; Right click on Internet Explorer; Left click on Send to Desktop.

VoilĂ !

osben 13:45 08 Dec 04

ACOLYTE & Jackcoms

Thanks for your response however

a) Tried navigating to the IE folder but the Icon is not there.
b) The internet folder/shortcut is not in my Programms list either.

As I said I.E is still on the computer but just can't find the Icon to start it.

Jackcoms 14:01 08 Dec 04

So, let's find which IE folders you do have.

Click on Search; All Files and Folders and type Internet Explorer in the search criteria.

Confab 14:01 08 Dec 04

Go to Add Remove programs and try to remove IE. A dialogue box will appear telling you that it cant be removed and it will give you the option to repair. Tick this box and IE will repair itself and add a new icon to your desktop. You will not lose your favourites

Jackcoms 14:03 08 Dec 04

Or try System Restore to a time you did have the Desktop icon

Smegs 14:16 08 Dec 04

It would help if we know which OS you have.

In Xp, goto Windows Explorer, Open C:\, goto Programe Files, Goto Internet Explorer Folder. There, you will find the IE Icon.

osben 14:40 08 Dec 04

Hi All
Thanks for input

\windows\$NT servicesPackUninstall$ size 89Kb dated 31/03/03
\windows\prefetch size 78Kb dated 8/12/04

I don't want to have to "system restore" as the last system backup was some time ago. A lot has gone on since then. However thanks for pointing that out. It will teach me to do it more often.

I tried that and looking very carefully, IE does not show up in the Add/Remove programs

Operating system is XP SP2
Have tried your suggestion, see earlier

As I said earlier, IE is still on the computer but I just cannot find (apart from the above search details) iexplore.exe or an icon to enable me to make a short cut.

I'm really stumped

osben 14:58 08 Dec 04

Hi all again

I've done it.

Went into settings\display\desktop\customise
and found that the Internet Explorer box had been de-ticked for some reason.

All's well now.

Many thanks for your help.

Djohn 14:59 08 Dec 04

Right click on desktop/properties/Customise button and place a tick in any of the following 4 boxes. This will place the actual Icon on your desktop rather than a shortcut.

My Documents - My Computer - Internet explorer or Network places. Click OK and OK a second time. You should now have the 4 or any combination of the 4 "Full" Icons on your desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…