IE default search provider anomaly

highside 12:14 PM 30 Jun 11

Hrlp its driving me mad. I have two laptops one has a problem, I have compared all the Internet settings but can see no difference. Both Win 7. The problem is the same with IE8 or 9

"A program on your computer has corrupted your default searh provider for IE. IE has reset this setting to your original search provider google.com"

I can close down the message and work on OK but it comes back everytime I connect.

The only clue I can see is the reference to google.com as I have google.co.uk set in Int Options and that is my mormsl setting.

I have tried all the basic stuff, CC etc (Norton 360 tried disabling that) Followed a link somewhere which suggested opening a new UAC this worked for a while on the new account but it now fails too. I have also removed other providers like Bing.

Woolwell 12:35 PM 30 Jun 11

A taskbar or antivirus program?

rdave13 16:12 PM 30 Jun 11

Have a look here and scroll down to problem 5. LINK

highside 17:16 PM 30 Jun 11

Thanks for replies, tried the registry change but still have the problem along with 10 million others it seems. Some say the registry change worked for them some not. I have compared the HKEY data concerned and it is now exactly the same as my other Win7 laptop. The other thing that is apparent is that it is not possible to delete google from Manage add ons (to try that route I have added bing making two entries) because I cannot make Bing the default so therefore cannot delete google the present default. The highlighted buttons do nothing.

rdave13 17:42 PM 30 Jun 11

Just a thought,do you use another registry cleaner, apart from CC, so you could restore the registry to a previous setting?

highside 08:41 AM 21 Jul 11

In case it helps anyone else, completely fixed by - Deleted my user account (created a new user first) all Ok google can now be used & selected as the Manage Add On menus are now operative again. The problem was a corrupt user account. Unfortunately I leapt into the registry etc too soon happily didnt do any damage.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…