IE Content Advisor - problem with password

ybud 14:57 04 Jun 03

Hi,

I've been trying to solve a problem on a mates PC without success = When IE is started a box comes up with the following :

Please check your Content Advisor settings for missing information. Click the Tools menu and then click Internet Options. On the Content tab, check the Content Advisor settings.

I've tried to adjust the settings but unfortunately a password is required. Now, he says that no-one has put a password in, to the best of his knowledge, though the PC is his daughters', and there is another daughter who uses the PC. Whether one of them have put a password in is anyones guess. Though they say they haven't.

I've tried deleting all the *.pwl files to see whether this would delete the password. But it did not work.

BTW, this all started after the daughter tried to access the Big Brother site. Why anyone wants to access that site is anyones guess :).

Because of the content advisor problem. They can't get access to any sites now as content advisor keeps coming up saying 'Sorry! Content Advisor will not allow you to see this site'.

I've also checked Add/Remove to see wether I could either uninstall or repair IE but it does not show up on the list.

I forgot to check which version of IE he is running (though I can chekc if needed). The OS is Windows ME.

Any suggestions, short of a reformat ??

TIA, ybud.

spikeychris 15:30 04 Jun 03

A little work in the registry >>

If your not on XP..

Make a backup of registry: >>

Click on Start

Choose Run.

In the Open field, type regedit.

Click the Registry menu

Choose Export Registry File.

In the File name field, type backup.

Click Save.

Click on the plus sign to the left of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Click on the plus sign to the left of Software.

Click on the plus sign to the left of Microsoft.

Click on the plus sign to the left of Windows.

Click on the plus sign to the left of Current Version.

Click on the plus sign to the left of Policies.

Now click on the Ratings folder.
In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called Key. Click on it and press Delete.

Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit RegEdit.

Click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable Content Advisor because there's no longer a password.

Chris

spikeychris 15:34 04 Jun 03

Sorry just read your Win98 so follow the above..

ybud 15:41 04 Jun 03

Thanks, will try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

spikeychris 15:41 04 Jun 03

WinME even....duhh

ybud 19:48 05 Jun 03

Many thanks, worked a treat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…