IE connect on windows start

Drum 12:12 21 Nov 07

Hi all.
I'm running Windows XP with IE6.and have a broadband connection.
Just recently,every time I bootup, dial-up connection wants to automatically connect me to the Internet. This is something I do not want.

I'm not aware of making any changes or installing new programs etc.that might have done this . How do I stop this?

Switcher 12:23 21 Nov 07

Within I.E. TOOLS > internet options > connections. Then click on never dial a connection Then APPLY> OK

Drum 14:04 21 Nov 07

If I do that, then I can't connect at all, not even manually, until I go back to that box and click "always dial my default connection"!?

Clapton is God 16:20 21 Nov 07

Is there a shortcut to your BB connection in C:/Documents and Settings/Your Name/Start Menu/Programs/Startup?

If so, delete it.

Drum 10:50 22 Nov 07

Thanks for the response. There doesn't appear to be a shortcut in the startup folder anywhere, but today my computer has decided to behave itself.
So, for the moment the problem has gone, at least on my computer, but I would still like to get to the bottom of this as the same thing happens to other people I know, and it would be good to be able to stop this.

robotnik 12:44 22 Nov 07

Sounds like something's trying to "call home" when you start up.

Maybe some program that starts with windows and is checking for updates or something?

Go Start>run>msconfig and go to the start up tab and see if you can see which it might be, and take the tick out? Or untick all the non essential ones and add them back one by one until you find the culprit.

Drum 16:55 22 Nov 07

Thanks for your input Robotnik, and I'm of the same mind as you that it has to be connected to some program. It might be an idea just to let it run and see where it takes me, but I can't do that at the moment.
I've had a good look in msconfig but I'm always a little hesitant to make any changes there, as it doesn't supply me with enough information to make an informed choice or decision. I prefer to use services.msc as there are changes you can make in msconfig that that can actually stop your computer booting, and then I'm really in trouble.

Does anyone know of any good information available on the web perhaps regarding essential services etc with an explanation of the contracted names. This is the only one I've been able to find a so far

click here

Clapton is God 16:58 23 Nov 07

You've provided a link to the best site for determining which services/applications to disable or not!

Use msconfig again to determine the services running on your PC, type them into the search box and the site will tell you whether or not you should leave them running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…