IE 8 problem

john bunyan 23:07 17 Sep 10

I have 2 PC's _Desktop , laptop. Both use W7, IE8,Avira a/v,. Quite frequently, only on the laptop, IE 8 stops with a message:
"A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage."
This occurs quite often if an (innocent) tab is opened - eg Google Images, or on return to PCA page.Very puzzling as it never happens on destop. Any views?

birdface 23:24 17 Sep 10

Maybe Disable your add-ons and see if you still get the problem.

birdface 23:28 17 Sep 10

Or maybe try running the Fix It.

click here

Or a system restore to before you had the problem.

rdave13 00:26 18 Sep 10

Check add-ons on Desktop and laptop and compare. Disable any unusual add-ons on laptop compared to the Desktop PC. See how it runs.

john bunyan 07:58 18 Sep 10

Thanks for the above. Re add ons, are they listed anywhere? I suspect this is the area.
I will try out the suggestions later.

john bunyan 08:16 18 Sep 10

Found it under manage add ons in tools menu. Will look in detail later - thanks.

john bunyan 13:54 18 Sep 10

I have now checked that both PC's have the same add ons enabled and will report back. The laptop is fairly new and had pre loaded Skype add on , and the Yahoo toolbar, so maybe one of them was the problem. Incidentally., a small point but on the desktop, "Tools" is spelt out in the menu bar, whereas on the laptop, a cog wheel symbol indicstes the tools function - I wonder why?

rdave13 14:10 18 Sep 10

If you right click the toolbar and select customize from the dropdown menu, you can select how the icons/text appear on the toolbar.

john bunyan 14:20 18 Sep 10

Thats it. With all these things there is never time to read up all the details, so these forums are so useful for sharing hints and tips. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…