IE 8 only works in Safe Mode

Mike 21 Jun 11
Answered

Problem is IE 8 will work perfectly in Safe Mode with Networking either wireless or ethernet but not in normal mode.

After a virus attack I did a System Restore to the day before to clear it, this was successful but it wiped out my newly installed Panda Global Security 2012. I waited a few hours making sure all was well and IE 8 was performing well using MS Firewall.

I re-installed Panda and a few hours later the virus was back, this time Panda caught it but not before part of it got through. The Virus was XP Internet Security 2012 and takes over MS Security Centre and says you you are infected pay us $69 and we'll fix it.

I did another System Restore, but this time IE 8 comes up with "cannot connect to the internet" I have run msconfig and alls well both Wireless and Ethernet working.

Should I dump IE 8 and re-install or what do you think. Regards

buteman 21 Jun 11

Try tools.Internet options.Advanced and press restore advanced settings reboot and see if that helps.

If not go back to advanced and press reset,That resets internet explorer to it's original state.

buteman 21 Jun 11

Firefox 5 is out today.So maybe try that.It always comes in handy if I/E plays up again.

buteman 21 Jun 11
  Mike 21 Jun 11

Thanks

Tried both as suggested in that order no joy.

Mike 21 Jun 11

Neither Firefox or Safari work

Firefox (the connection was reset while the page was loading.) Safari Unknown Error (kCFErrorDomaineWinSock:10022)

Mike 21 Jun 11

Firefox runs in Safe Mode Clicked on updates and only 2.0.0.20 is offered

Mike 21 Jun 11

Downloaded Firefox 5 it works in Safe Mode.

In Normal Mode I get The Connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

I recon I still have traces of the virus which is switching things.

Any good suggestions of a Free AV that I could use in Safe Mode.

buteman 21 Jun 11

Hitman Pro safe mode with networking.

Download it while in safe mode.

Mike 22 Jun 11
Answer

Thanks buteman,

Downloaded Panda ActiveScan 2.0. It found 4 infected files 2 from XP Internet Security. (Fake)

Everything back working correctly I hope.

Later today, after some sleep I will download Hitman Pro.

Regard

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message