IE 7 Problems

SURVEY 10:36 01 Dec 06

I am quite concerned on behalf of many friends and neighbours who have their computers set to automatically dowmload Microsoft updates. They are experiencing extreme difficulies with IE7 and have no idea how to sort the problems out. Fortunately with the help of this forum I have managed to help them, in many instances by rolling their sytsems back to IE6.

How can Microsoft issue an 'update', particularly as a Security Update, that is causing so many problems? Just look at the number of references their are to IE7 already on this forum. Is there are chance that there may be a new update that many users who have rolled back to IE6, or like me who have never custom downloaded IE7, can download without the problems.

anskyber 10:51 01 Dec 06

Basically, if I have understood your thread correctly, no.

There have been difficulties with IE7. I have read them all, or nearly all, as they have appeared on this site.

I am not wishing to suggest that there are not some really difficult issues but many seem to fall into the category of "other software being out of date".

Old non compliant tool bars and add ons seem to explain many problems. (eg flash player) It constantly amazes me for example that a major player like BT have not issued an update for their desktop helper to make it IE7 compliant.

The extra security features in IE7 are in my view most valuable and I certainly find the tabbed browsing really helpful. Its worth trying to crack the problems if it's possible, otherwise rolling back to IE6 is fine. Alternatively there is always Firefox or opera.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…