IE 7 opening loads of screens

mco 20:16 18 Jun 08

I have a brand new laptop - Vista and IE7 -and it very annoyingly occasionally starts opening loads of windows - 38 last time. I know I can use Opera (as I am now) or FF -but sometimes IE displays things better and not all programs work on other browsers. I googled and saw the suggestion go to tools>enable/disable addons but I have nothing suspicious there (unless Snagit screencast is suspicious)So what else could I do please?

chub_tor 21:56 18 Jun 08

Are the screens that IE7 open all the same URL or are they different?

sunny staines 21:57 18 Jun 08

sounds like spyware.

download the free superantspyware and run a full scan and let it fix all it finds.

report how you get on.

grey george 22:14 18 Jun 08

Download spybot search and destroy and also zone alarm firewall.

birdface 07:20 19 Jun 08

Tools.Internet Options.Advanced.and press reset.You will loose your add ons but you can put them back later.

mco 19:00 19 Jun 08

It is the same window opening all the time. I don't have any add-ons but will have a go at buteman's suggestion. I did a scan with Avast which I installed as soon as I got the machine (it is 5 days old) but nothing showed up.

woodchip 00:02 20 Jun 08

Try this for a Browser. Flock 2 with Firefox 3 inside. click here

VoG II 00:11 20 Jun 08

You don't say what you are doing when the multiple screens open but is this a possibility click here

mco 09:57 20 Jun 08

woodchip - I do have Opera and FF3 but still would like to use IE7. VoG - don't think the problem is when I hit a mailto link but I shall set the default email client just in case (haven't yet done as only 6 days old!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…