IE 7 keeps freezing.

The Kestrel 16:46 22 Dec 08

For the last week or so I have been having problems with IE7. The program freezes whilst downloading a page. Even using Task Manager I am unable to shut down IE7, it looks for a solution or tries to restart IE7 but never gets anywhere. The only way I can stop this is to shut down and restart the PC.

Has anyone got a solution to this or any suggestions on how to stop this happening?

Halmer 17:48 22 Dec 08

it could be Flash Player or Zone Alarm. What version do you have of either?

hubdean 17:55 22 Dec 08

is this any good to you
click here

birdface 18:21 22 Dec 08

Try.Tools.Internet Options.Advanced.And press reset.That resets IE7 back to its original state.

Pineman100 18:23 22 Dec 08

If none of the suggestions on hubdean's link work, then you might have to consider resetting Internet Explorer, as a possible solution (note 'possible' - not 'definite').

Go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab. Click the Reset button at the bottom.

But before you do, make sure you take note of the settings that will be affected when you do this. Look in IE Help and read the section on 'Reset Internet Explorer default settings'. There's a comprehensive list.

Pineman100 18:23 22 Dec 08

... you type faster than me!

The Kestrel 18:23 22 Dec 08

Hi Halmer. My OS is Vista Home Premium, Zone Alarm is the latest version 8.0.065.00 and Adobe Fash Player 10 was installed on 13/12/08.

hubdean, thanks but that is not my problem. IE runs normally at start up and these freezes are unpredictable and not li8nked to any particular web page.

birdface 18:27 22 Dec 08

Or try command prompt.Type in ipconfig /flushdns a small gap between ipconfig and the forward slash or it will not work.Ok.It should tell you dns has been flushed.If so reboot and see if it makes any difference.

Sea Urchin 18:42 22 Dec 08

As referenced by Halmer I have been having exactly the same problem, and tried Resetting, flushing etc etc but nothing changed. Then following another thread I uninstalled Flash Player 10 and reverted to 9 - problem gone

The Kestrel 18:44 22 Dec 08

Thanks everyone who has contributed. Having read the help section on problems with IE and resetting IE, I'm starting by disabling addons to see whether that solves the problem, if is I will isolate the particular addon that is causing the problem. If that fails I shall move on to either resetting IE to default or use butemen's other suggestion.

Butemen, which order do you suggest I try them?

The Kestrel 18:47 22 Dec 08

Sea Urchin, I have disabled the Flash 10 addon, so hopefully this will prove to be the problem. If so I will revert to version 9 as you did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…