IE 6.0 hanging when using 'open new window'

reburner57 09:56 23 May 04

For some reason, after no apparent hardware or software change, Internet Explorer has started to hang whenever I right click and select 'open in new window'. I am running XP home and virus scan is showing nothing. Any ideas as to what is happening greatly appreciated

VoG II 10:01 23 May 04

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

reburner57 10:51 23 May 04

Thanks for the response however everything checked out Ok and problem still persists.

VoG II 14:12 23 May 04

Try a repair click here

reburner57 14:35 25 May 04

Have tried everything VoG suggested but have found no problems and the issue persists. IE is ALWAYS hanging when I do 'Open in new window' and sometimes hanging when clicking on a hyperlink.

Sporadically Outlook Express is hanging as well. All other apps are functioning OK

As I said above virus scans are coming up clean and the problem persists whether or not my firewall is turned on.

prima12 16:55 25 May 04

My IE6 started this some weeks ago, I couldn't open any links, only when I pressed 'Stop' and then 'Refresh' would the page open. I never did sort it out, started using Avant and haven't had anymore problems. I also downloaded Netscape, and that opened the links OK as does Avant.

reburner57 13:47 03 Jun 04

Hasve been away for a few days but this problem still persists.

One thing I have noticed is that the minute I kill IE, after it hangs, one of the SVCHOST processes immediately uses all the CPU usage which jumps straight to a 100% and stays there until I reboot.

Any further ideas anyone ????

Furkin 14:10 03 Jun 04

I have also started to get 'hanging' but hopefuly only in OUTLOOK 2002. Today it got so bad, that whatever I clicked on in Outlook, made the program hang. I'm reverting to Outlook Express,,, but I see that this is also likely to do the same (see above). Over the weeks I have tried everything that has been suggested, but so far, to no avail.

Good Luck All
Furkin

reburner57 10:19 08 Jun 04

I finalkly resolved this problem. It bore all the hall marks of some sort of infection so, despite the fact that I regularly use Adaware I downloaded and installed Spybot. It found a further 65 items that Adaware hadn't and after removing them I'm running Ok again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…