IE 6 will not now open

swapper 06:57 24 Oct 05

WinXP HE 2SE

Can I uninstall and reinstall IE6,if so how?
It was working fine, and then suddenly I now cannot access via the desktop icon.

To get on line now, I open Outlook express, close it, click on the IE explorer desktop icon, and it opens fine.

I have used sfc /scannow, and a fixit file, IEFix v 1.5, but still no luck any ideas pse?

TIA

(I have tried Firefox, but returned to IE).

Taff36 07:08 24 Oct 05

Can you access it from the Start Menu? If so delete the desktop icon and drag the IE shortcut off the Start menu onto the desktop. A new shortcut will be placed there.

Taff36 07:41 24 Oct 05

Can you access it from the Start Menu? If so delete the desktop icon and drag the IE shortcut off the Start menu onto the desktop. A new shortcut will be placed there.

MAJ 07:59 24 Oct 05

Go to the C:\WINDOWS\inf folder and locate the "ie.inf" file. Right-click on the ie.inf and choose "Install" from the context menu. That should repair IE.

swapper 10:22 24 Oct 05

Taff36, when I click on that I still get Page unavailable?
MAJ, cannot fine ie.inf, what I can see is ieuninst? is that the uninstaller for IE do you think?
If it is I could uninstall/reinstall?

splork 10:41 24 Oct 05

click here
This is a sledgehammer approach, but useful as a last resort. Make sure you have an alternative browser installed, or a recent ISP CD with IE6 on it to get it re-installed.

swapper 11:08 24 Oct 05

splork, thanks for that but it does say not for use with XP?

splork 11:15 24 Oct 05

Indeed it does, my mistake. I will say that I used it on a Windows 2000 system recently though and it didn't cause any problems after a re-install, but that particular system was very lean, so it didn't `break` anything.

splork 11:25 24 Oct 05

I take it if you navigate to \Program Files\Internet Explorer\ and run iexplore.exe it still doesn't work?

swapper 12:02 24 Oct 05

splork.
yes, I did navigate to \Program Files\Internet Explorer\ and run iexplore.exe it still doesn't work?

splork 12:08 24 Oct 05

Any error messages? Or just no response?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…