IE 6 will not dial default conxn

phono 01:42 15 Nov 03

Having accquired a new PC I set about formatting, installing Win XP and SP1 on the old system for the kids. (Legit CDs b4 anyone asks.)

Everything was fine until i did a windows update, now when I start IE6, it just sits there with the busy pointer and does nothing.

If I connect to my ISP first it works fine, it point blank refuses to dial the default connection, everything else works just fine, even windows update.

Any ideas anyone? I hate the thoughts of reinstalling WinXP.

TD

VoG II 09:15 15 Nov 03

Repair IE click here

johnnyrocker 09:18 15 Nov 03

has anything changed in your settings for default? sound to me like it is not pointed in the right direction.

johnny.

phono 21:08 15 Nov 03

Thanks for the link VoG, am going to try a repair shortly.

Thanks for the input Johnny, unfortunately nothing has changed in my default connection, I even imported it from the new PC to see if that would work and still got the same result.

Will get back as soon as I've tried a repair of IE.

phono 21:36 15 Nov 03

Hi all problem solved at last, I carried out the repair and still no luck, I then disabled the firewall I installed on this machine and hey presto, IE 6 back to normal. Funny thing is, it was working okay before the Windows updates.

If anyone is interested the firewall in question is SecureUp's Personal Firewall Pro (it does not seem to be as good or as easy to set up as ZA Pro which I have on the new machine) it was relatively cheap with 2 years updates so I guess you get what you pay for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…