IE 6

Kaacee 20:27 12 Jan 07

I have been experiencing a problem with IE for some time now, basically, when i use IE it works fine but when i close it , it shows the following......

Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

How can i correct this ....i am using Windows 2000 Pro.

Many thanks

STREETWORK 20:31 12 Jan 07

Looks like IE6 has developed some sort of corruption.

1. You could reinstall it
2. You could upgrade to IE7
3. You could try using Mozilla Firefox

SANTOS7 20:33 12 Jan 07

or a repair...

Repair Internet Explorer 6.x (Win2k / WinXP)

* Start -> Run
* Type: sfc /scannow
* Click OK
* Follow the prompts
* Reboot when System File Checker completes

Kaacee 20:33 12 Jan 07

Thanks for prompt response, can you point me in the right direction to reinstall IE6 please

Kaacee 20:35 12 Jan 07

Thank you thats what i wanted to do...will try it and report back later

thanks again guys

SANTOS7 20:39 12 Jan 07

Gudlucker, hope it works for ya, don't forget there is a space between c / , the prompt wont work otherwise..

Kaacee 21:07 12 Jan 07

no luck i'm afraid..i ran the repair as advised and i remembered the space ...it asked me to insert Windows 2000 CD which i did...it then checked the files and ended rather abrubtly without giving anymore instructions....i waited 3/4 minutes rebooted and tried again but same error message.......

So i am not 100% sure if it actally accomplished the repair of IE6 ????

VoG II 21:09 12 Jan 07
  Kaacee 21:34 12 Jan 07

Followed your link VoG...but still showing error message when i close IE....seems it could be something more terminal that can't be repaired..is uninstalling it an option and then reinstalling...if so how does one do it......as i said earlier...i do not have a problem whilst working in IE but the error message does also say " work may be lost" ......otherwise i would just put up with it..

SANTOS7 21:55 12 Jan 07

the error message "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" is a non specific term. click here=
as you can see from the link, is there no other error message attached that might narrow it down a bit...

Kaacee 11:40 13 Jan 07

Problem resolved....don't tell FE but i found the solution in another forum !!!!!

Control Panel...Internet Options...Advanced Tab..untick "Enable third party browser extentions" reboot and problem solved....

Thanks guys for your help on this one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…