IE 6

kissag 15:33 09 May 04

unable to run IE through a link, can open a URL normally in IE, but if using a link I get the message: "IE has encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for the inconvenience" to which IE shuts down.

using XP, no changes apart from deleted overnet recently, but reinstalled it to see if this would cure the problem, no!

have restored system to previous configuration but problem stil persists.

any help would be appreciated.

Peter

Valvegrid 15:37 09 May 04

Have you been to Add/Remove programs and tried a repair of IE?

kissag 15:58 10 May 04

tried to repair IE, no option in add/remove programmes, downloaded IE6 update still no good, considering reinstalling from CD if possible

woodchip 16:09 10 May 04

IF you have a full Windows disc click here

kissag 21:07 11 May 04

got the original XP disc, tried all the 3 repairs as stated for XP, none would work at all, would not accept the path on the first one, or the file: ie.inf on the second one, or the file path on the third one

Tried a new installation of IE6 from another disc, installed OK, but problem still persists, can run IE OK but on some links, it goes down on error, trying to open a link in an email and it does the saem, this is the most important, not able to open links unless they have the full URL so that I can copy and paste.

GaT7 21:26 11 May 04

This may help - click here.

kissag 13:44 19 May 04

Thanks for your info folks, I have tried the repairs in question I have now mananged to repair IE and can now open links but when I close down IE I get the same error message, I can live with this now until next re-install

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…