** IDX Files IN Documents And Settings **

ThisNameIsMine 12:06 06 Apr 03

I was wondering if anyone knew why there are 1288 "*.idx" files in my Documents And Settings Folder. They are taking up nearly 50Mb so can I delete them?

howard60 13:56 06 Apr 03

try moving them to another folder and see if there are any ill effects or rename them changing the extension.

Big Elf 14:02 06 Apr 03

Just found this:

OE Mail uses a standard database technique. Each "folder" actually consists of two files. The *.MBX file is the main data store. All your messages are in there, along with other information, encoded in binary characters. The other file is an *.IDX file, which is an index to the *.MBX file. OE reads the *.IDX files to learn how to display the stuff in the MBX file.

from click here

ThisNameIsMine 14:22 06 Apr 03

Thanks Big Elf, but I dont use Outlook Express. I use Outlook 2002, does that have the same effect?

Big Elf 14:29 06 Apr 03

I don't think so as I use Outlook 2000 and there are no IDX files on my system.

ThisNameIsMine 14:32 06 Apr 03

I tried howard60's tip and it seems to be working ok now. Thanks Big Elf.

Big Elf 14:35 06 Apr 03

Just had a thought. Look up the file type in folder options and see what IDX is associated with. It might give a clue.

ThisNameIsMine 14:40 06 Apr 03

It isnt associated with anything (It isn't there). Anyway guys, thanks for ur help, I have moved them and restarted the system and all seems to be fine. I will run the system for 2 weeks to see if there are any ill effects then I will delete them

ThisNameIsMine 19:46 07 Apr 03

It was actually Nero saving its CD databases there. I have turned of CD saving and its ok now. Thanks Julian (PC Advisor Helpline Good Bloke)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…