Idiots guide to install winXP on 2 HDD

Giggle n' Bits 23:52 28 Aug 06

friend has bought daughters machine to ask if I can install there newly purchased XP Home on it. I thought fine till I looked in my computer and saw x2 HDD's ! Oh what a Shock.

Never installed a windows on 2 HDD's think it whats called RAID Array. Anyway, it originally had WinMe on but they got to get XP to run a new gadget they got.

Is there any idiot guide to instruct how to install XP Home onto a set of HDD's.

I have worked out one is set as CS & other is set as the Master acording to the jumpers.

The are two HDD the one underneath is first on the Cable and this is set to CS on jumper and is a 40GB Western Digital then second being ontop is on the slave to master tink its called and this is set as a master on the jumper and is a 20GB Seagate. Confused, yep I am totally.

Ok, thats as far as I have got and with know help I would just install the disk booting from the CD and hope for the best but would this work or do I need something else please

Any Raid Array knowledge or what is needed to install xp on a IDE ATA x2 HDD pair would be insteresting to learn from the best if help can be given.

DieSse 00:31 29 Aug 06

Two hard drives needn't mean a RAID array - it may just be two drives. If you can tell us what the motherboard is, we can probably tell you if it's set up as RAID. I would think it very very unlikely (maybe impossible) with two drives of such low capacity, and different capacities. - this probably means an older computer. I would think the second drive has been added simply for more storage space.

The drive with the Master jumper will be the Master (surprisingly) - and the one set to Cable Select will be the Slave. Cable Select drives become Slaves when fitted to the connector in the middle of the cable. Although these jumper settings are odd, they are quite acceptable and will work OK.

Windows will automatically install on the Master drive. Put in the CD - set the system to boot from the CD and follow the instructions on the screen. You should repartition the drives (set only the one partition on the Master - the Slave you can do later), and Format it to make sure it's clean and in good condition.

Strawballs 00:49 29 Aug 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos