Idiot Here - Needs Educating!

The Earl Of Sabden 23:28 20 Jun 04

Hi guy's

I want to wirelessly connect my laptop to my home PC for using the Internet on the laptop while sat in the garden.

Wireless/Network Virgin here so go gentle - it's my first time...

Does that mean that I HAVE to network the laptop to the PC, what gear/stuff/bits/parts do I need?

Does the PC have to be switched on in the house while I trawl the NET in the garden?

Help please.... Cheers chaps.... The Earl/

Forum Editor 23:40 20 Jun 04

is as follows:

1. Buy a wireless router.

2. Then buy a wireless network adapter for your laptop. You can get both PCMCIA card types, or external USB types - both work just as well, but if your laptop is fairly new it may well have an internal wireless adapter already installed.

3. Buy a wireless adapter for the PC - again you can get USB external models, or an internal PCI card adapter with a little aerial that sticks out at the back of the computer.

4. Install everything - the router connects to the ADSL microfilter on your phone line. If you're using USB adapters it is essential to install the software before you connect the adapter.

That's it - you should find that the adapters find the router and connect as soon as you boot up the machines - although with some models you'll be asked to select a wireless network from a list of one. If you are, and you're asked if you want to connect, even though the network may not be secure, say 'yes'.

The big advantage that a router has over a wireless access point (which looks much the same) is that you don't need to have any one machine running before you can connect on the other one - the router is permanently online and broadcasting. Most current routers have their own ADSL modem built in, older ones need to be connected via a separate modem.

woodchip 23:46 20 Jun 04
  The Earl Of Sabden 10:47 22 Jun 04

Thanks guy's....

Will try that out this weekend.... EOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…