IDE/USB external drive not showing in My Computer

wildrover 14:58 04 Mar 08

Hi. I have a new ide drive external enclosure. When plugged in to the USB socket xp and Vista both recognise it and install drivers. Device manager says it is working. But there is no sign of the drive in My computer. Anyone know how I can I make the drive accessible?

Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:01 04 Mar 08

IS drive brand new?
look in My computer - right click - manage - strage - disk management rightclick to initilaise / format

If old drive in new external caddy check jumper is set to master.

wildrover 15:20 04 Mar 08

Its an old drive and it is currently set to master. I have also tried without jumper, set as a single, but just get the same result.

It does not show in disk management either FB, but is shown in Device Manager as a Disk Drive on USB.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 04 Mar 08

It may be corrupt

Try setting as slave and connect intenally on your PC,
will it show now?

wildrover 23:50 04 Mar 08

I think you may be right, it may be corrupt. I have tried to do put it on as a slave but am struggling.

I should have made this clear above, this is on a dual boot xp/vista system with xp and vista installed on seperate IDE drives. If I take out any of the current IDE drives, it will not boot at all. Only two IDE drives possible on the board - a sata drive is also installed.

AL D. 13:52 05 Mar 08

if you have any virtual drives like Daemon remove them, turn off and disconnet you usb drive, rebbot pc, then make sure there are no virtual drive showing in "MY Computer" plug in and turn on usb drive and wait for detection, ALSO you can try setting the jumpers on usb hard drive to (Master),
good luck

woodchip 14:19 05 Mar 08

Check BIOS that USB Legacy is enabled

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…