Identifying open ports

dazadude 14:43 20 Aug 03

I have just started getting interested in network security following the articles about broadband security in PCA over the past couple of months. As such I downloaded the Nmap port scanner to scan my own and other computers on my home network.

Nmap tells me that I have several open ports including port 7 echo, port 9 discard, port 13 daytime and a few others.

Can somebody tell me if there is a way of identifying what these ports/services are, what they do and how and if I should shut them down. I have tried the microsoft website but with no luck and general web searches just return a lot of random results but no specifics.

thanks a lot.

The Sack 14:48 20 Aug 03
  dazadude 15:35 20 Aug 03

that's a great start with useful links, but i notice the description sections aren't filled in. Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Wes Tam ;-) 15:42 20 Aug 03

dazadude here's a list of all the ports but I don't think it goes into specifics click here

Wes Tam ;-) 15:44 20 Aug 03

Anther one here with better descriptions click here

dazadude 15:56 20 Aug 03

Cheers 'The Sack' and 'Wes Tam', there is useful info on both your links and I have found a lot more keywords from them to search by in the future. I also found these links which might be of interest to other readers:

click here

click here

Finally, does anybody know of some good forums dedicated to this subject?

dazadude 16:31 20 Aug 03

I just discovered that a large number of the ports I had open, including those I mentioned in the original post are called 'simple TCP/IP services' and their main/only purpose is for debugging.

I uninstalled them by going to 'add/remove programs' in XP control panel, then 'add/remove windows components' and then un-ticked 'Simple TCP/IP Services' under 'Networking Services'.

I don't know why these were installed on my computer because they are clearly not needed and make my system less secure. Glad I got into this now!

Pidder 18:46 20 Aug 03

With ZoneAlarm if the Firewall security is set to "HIGH" doesn't this stop all access to one's ports?

The Sack 18:54 20 Aug 03

*that's a great start with useful links, but i notice the description sections aren't filled in.*

Because they are not relevant. put port 135 in and see what it says, dont get all worked up over what ports are being used as you are liable to block something that shouldnt be blocked :-)

dazadude 11:29 21 Aug 03

piddler -

I have zonealarm installed and I had to shut it down for the Nmap port scan to work (although zonealarm did not warn me that a scan was taking place, even when set to show all alerts), so normally I would have zonealarm on and presumably have nothing to worry about. I'm just trying to learn more about this sort of stuff by playing on my own network.

thanks for the replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…