Identifying the manufacturer of a Motherboard

Abel 17:22 PM 19 Aug 12
Answered

It’s me again, more trouble. For those interested see http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4161023/acronis-ti-backed-up-data-problem/ Is this the correct way to cross-refer?

Having described myself as a virtual Luddite unable to deal with anything electrical or mechanical, I’ve just discovered a case including a fitted motherboard, three memory slots containing two strips of 256Mb of memory, a processor and fan, together with a myriad of wires, one of which is of the SATA type. A barebones job I suppose? The case front is in the shape of a Porsche car and probably the reason I bought it. I don’t remember having a user manual for the motherboard which is where my problems start. I’ve gone over the motherboard quite carefully but can find no name of the manufacturer. Without the user manual I have absolutely no idea where all the wires plug-in. Have any of you an idea where I go next? I don’t suppose lotvic, woodchip or rdave13 will want to become involved, after their last marathon?

Nontek 17:28 PM 19 Aug 12

SIW should give you the Manufacturer of the Motherboard.

Scroll down for the Free version

rdave13 17:34 PM 19 Aug 12

Is it a working machine? If not, could you take some clear photos and use a site such as Photobucket to upload the images and then supply links on here. Someone might identify it. If a working PC then Nontek's suggestion is good.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 PM 19 Aug 12

see here using board identity numbers

Abel 18:07 PM 19 Aug 12

Nontek and rdave13, I'm afraid it's not a working machine so SIW is not an option. As for Photobucket, I've never used this before, but I guess I can learn. Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I'll follow-up your suggetion and tell you how I got on

KRONOS the First 18:43 PM 19 Aug 12

Just post any sequence of numbers and there may well be a FCC number which also would be useful.

Abel 20:40 PM 19 Aug 12

Hello Cronus, the FCC on the mobo is an upper case FC with a smaller c within the capital C. Anyhow the number is GA-72MMP . Is that number significant?

jimforrest 22:13 PM 19 Aug 12

I'm another Luddite - but one thing I do know is that any board more than a few months old is going to be rubbish! Throw it away and put a nice new shiny one in its place. (There's probably a reason why the case has only got the board in anyway!)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:33 PM 19 Aug 12

Ihat's an old board nearly 10yrs since I've played with a socket A board.

Abel 06:35 AM 20 Aug 12

Looking at the link Jock1e supplied and the comments made by the rest of you, the mobo just aint no good. Now comes a further problem, would someone please enlighten me about the various ‘form factors’ if that’s the right term. To keep the expense down I don’t want to buy a mobo to find, that for whatever reason, it doesn’t fit my case

Abel 06:41 AM 20 Aug 12

Looking at the link Jock1e supplied and the comments made by the rest of you, the mobo just aint no good. Now comes a further problem, would someone please enlighten me about the various ‘form factors’ if that’s the right term. To keep the expense down I don’t want to buy a mobo to find, that for whatever reason, it doesn’t fit my case

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED