Identifying laptop touchpad

Pineman100 19:12 26 Apr 10

My wife's laptop (HP) runs Windows 7 Home Premium. It's fitted with a Microsoft USB mouse, which she uses in preference to the touchpad.

But she has a bad habit of brushing against the touchpad while she's typing, so I want to disable the touchpad.

But I'm having trouble identifying it. Device Manager and Belarc Advisor both show that the computer is fitted with the following pointing devices:

HID compliant mouse
PS/2 compatible mouse

But there's no mention of the touchpad (which I believe is a Synaptics).

Could one of the two above "mouse" devices actually be the touchpad?

Pineman100 19:18 26 Apr 10

Sorry - my mistake. Her laptop is a Packard Bell Easynote!

(It's mine that's an HP - doh!)

User-1229748 19:47 26 Apr 10

i found this click here

Sea Urchin 22:02 26 Apr 10

You can usually disable the touchpad on a laptop by using the Fn key in conjunction with another F key. However, most PB Easynotes have a touchpad disable button - which is usually somewhere near the touchpad. You haven't mentioned the model but should appear in the user guide.

woodchip 22:09 26 Apr 10

look in Device Manager, under Mice and Pointing Devices if you Right click on Touch pad it should tell you what it is. mine on this Samsung Netbook is a Synaptics

woodchip 22:10 26 Apr 10

you can disable it in Device Manager

woodchip 22:12 26 Apr 10

Are you looking in Human Interface Devices or Pointing Devices?

Pineman100 12:31 27 Apr 10

I can't find a touchpad disable button.

I also looked in Device Manager>Mive & Other Pointing Devices, but it only lists the two devices I mentioned above. In Properties, there was no mention of a touchpad.

That made me start to wonder whether the Synaptics touchpad drivers were properly installed. The touchpad was working OK, but I suspected that it might be running on a Windows generic driver.

So I went to the Packard Bell website and found the driver download. It was specified for Vista, not W7, but I took a chance and downloaded it. After installation, the computer crashed on restart. However, it recovered itself. Thereafter, the pointing devices properties included a tab for the touchpad. That tab includes a "disable" button.

So job done!

Thanks very much for guiding me to the solution. I'm very grateful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017