Identify unmarked cable pairs

TonyW2 19:18 PM 13 Oct 12

I have a redundant black 10 core cable , marked General7 5pr/5 Cat128, and cannot find any information about this terminology. It formed the ADSL connection from A/B connectors on an NT5 to a router socket. I wish to reconfigure it as part of an ethernet Cat5 network. The 10 cores consist of 5 coloured wires and 5 unmarked white wires. (That is correct!) How can I determine whether these form twisted pairs and if so how can I relate the pairs? The cable is cut short so I cannot expose more wiring

wiz-king 15:24 PM 14 Oct 12

Dubious - sounds like a telephone cable - I would not use it. It may have twisted pairs but not at the normal pitch and you would have to cut back the outer for at least an inch or two to see which pairs are inside.

TonyW2 10:52 AM 15 Oct 12

Thanks. You are correct; stripping it has shown that it is not twisted pair. (Its a shame as it would have saved me a lot of effort---and why would anyone want 5 unmarked wires???!!!) I did try running ethernet over the colour cables but it is producing upload speed problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Lumia 950 vs Lumia 950 XL: What's the difference between Lumia 950 & 950 XL?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Medium's new logo was designed

iPad Pro vs iPad Air 2 comparison: Which of Apple's flagship iPads is best for you?