Identify and dump junk?

jmdraft 12:27 PM 22 Mar 12

Everybody knows that, over time, our registries get full of crap that sneaks in. everybody also knows that most of us don’t know what most of the crap is and wither it’s safe to dump it or not. Question: is there some kind of service, app, site, program……whatever, which will help us to identify all the crap and tell use what is safe to dump without causing our operating systems to malfunction?

Ian in Northampton 12:42 PM 22 Mar 12

A lot of people here - including myself - swear by CCleaner (formerly known as Crap Cleaner) which does a great job of keeping things clean and tidy, and has plenty of options for you to have it do what you want - or just let it do its own things.

Kevscar1 12:51 PM 22 Mar 12

seconded

jmdraft 12:56 PM 22 Mar 12

Thank you for your response.

I have had CCleaner in my computers for years and I like it. Maybe it somehow does this but, if so, I don’t understand how. What I want is something that will identify the crap in my registry and tell me what is safe to dump without causing problems with Windows.

onthelimit1 13:33 PM 22 Mar 12

jmdraft

You don't need to know - just let CCleaner do it's job.

Jameslayer 13:36 PM 22 Mar 12

You need to select Registry menu from CCleaner's main screen. Click scan for issues button then fix selected issues.

jmdraft 13:52 PM 22 Mar 12

Thank you for your responses.

Unfortunately, the answers are not correct. This is an example: I have an app in a computer called Roxio (pertains to creating CDs etc.). There were 10-12 Roxio items in my registry. I determined that they had nothing to do with Windows function and disabled them. When I rebooted, everything was faster (I timed it) . I have the same Roxio mess in a different computer and left it alone to check the difference and timed it……….still slow as ever.

There is still a lot of stuff like this in my registry and I want to continue to disable more crap.

Ian in Northampton 14:06 PM 22 Mar 12

jmdraft: if CCleaner sees that Roxio is installed, it will assume that registry entries for it are valid, so it will leave them alone. Is Roxio still installed? And if it is: does it still work after you've deleted the registry entries? Or have you uninstalled it - in which case, the uninstall may have only been partial, fooling CCleaner into thinking it's still there. It could be you need something like Revo Uninstaller to do a more complete job than Windows does when it uninstalls stuff.

jmdraft 14:32 PM 22 Mar 12

Thank you,

Roxio is still in both computers. Please read this again: When I rebooted, everything was faster (I timed it). http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scientific+method Try stuff, take notes and see what happens. Regardless of what CCleaner does or does not do, the result was absolute. After disabling some stuff, the computer was faster. I’m still looking for what I described at the beginning of my post: Something that will identify and advise about stuff that can be disabled without effecting Windows.

onthelimit1 14:58 PM 22 Mar 12

All 'stuff' as you call it that is not part of the OS can be disabled without affecting Windows, but may affect another programme. I think you're on a hiding to nothing!

Ian in Northampton 14:58 PM 22 Mar 12

I have no doubt it'll be faster. The fastest your computer will ever run is just after you've done a fresh install of Windows, before you install anything else that starts to enlarge the registry. But you didn't say: does Roxio still work just as it did before you deleted the registry entries for it?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone