Ideal firewall settings

Qdiddy 16:37 08 May 04

I have the Sygate Firewall installed on my Windows98se pc, and connect to BB via telewest. I installed the firewall and that was it. I have never even looked at the settings. However, during a recent virus scan (Mcafee) 7 trojans were found.

What concerns me is that these trojans managed to get past the firewall and the first line of virus protection, but were only discovered when I scanned my entire hardisk.

Should I do something with my firewall settings? What are the optimal settings that will allow me to go where I want on the net, but still keep all the nasties out?

Clint2 16:40 08 May 04

This may be of help click here

hugh-265156 16:43 08 May 04

set up your firewall to prompt you when anything wishes to connect.

when you get asked if something wants access,consider what you are doing at the time and what the name of the software is before allowing it.if in any doubt deny access.

read the instructions in the help file for your software.

keep your av up to date and scan regulary.

even then its up to you to be careful about what you click on and where you go.dont expect to be immune just because you have a firewall and av installed.

Gaz 25 16:51 08 May 04

I think sygate is a poor firewall, why not try Agnitum, Kerio (harder to configure though) or Zonealarm.

Agntium is quite easy to use, and stealths ports as soon as instaled, and by default asks when you wish for something to connect. click here

Zonealram is good too, easy to use and is quite powerful. click here

Qdiddy 18:32 08 May 04

Thanks for the advice everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…