Ideal CPU temperature

Fatboy415 09:25 14 Apr 05

I have just built my new machine using the following main components (purchased from E-buyer)

· AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor With 3 Year Warranty and Fan Included.

· Abit AV8-3RD Eye Skt 939 K8t800pro 8xAGP ATX Gigabit LAN, SATA150 RAID, IEEE1394, 6ch Audio, ìGuru USB2.0 Retail Box.

Reading the reviews of the processor on E-buyer people were praising how cool it ran at around 35ºC. Using the external ìGuru temperature sensor that came as part of the motherboard my CPU is reporting a temperature of between 45 - 50ºC. When I attached the supplied heat sink to the processor I only used the conductive tape that was there, I did not use any after market thermal grease.

My question is am I cooking the CPU, and is there somewhere that reports ideal CPU temperatures?

Thank you
Fatboy 415

Ironman556 10:15 14 Apr 05

It varies quite a lot on the load you put on your PC. Your bios/temperature monitoring software will probably have a setting to shut down the PC if it overheats to save damaging the CPU (not always enabled by default so have a look) If you want to find your max temperature try running a fairly recent game with settings maxed.

Do the ebuyer people say if they used the stock heatsink/fan? My 2800XP idles at 35 ºC but only because I used a zalman heatsink and 80mm fan. I would expect greater temps if I used the stock cooler.

45 - 50ºC sounds reasonable though, but I have heard that the 64 bit cpu's run quite cool but I don't know what the average is.

Do you have sufficient case fans? I've found if mine are set too slow the cpu heats up a fair bit.

Fatboy415 12:38 14 Apr 05

Ironman556

I have two 80mm's on the front, one on the side and one 120mm on the rear.

I shall have a long look on the AMD web site just to make sure.

Thank you for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…