ide wont detect

mh81 20:55 08 Sep 06

Hello.

i recently bought a new atx case for more power, i also bought a new hard drive.

I moved my motherboard and its stuff over to the new case (carefully + anti-static band) plugged it all together. Only difference was... i plugged the new hdd in first to do a fresh install, everything else remained the same.

So i check its all together and turn it on and now it says..
DISC BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER

so i restart and go to bios and it wont detect the hdd (auto-detect), i plug my old hdd back in with win xp pro sp2 installed on, same error message and bios doesnt detect, i tried 3 different hdd's on both ide 1 and 2 but nothing is detected and with same error message.
I tested the drives on another system and they all work and detect fine.. im stuck

Ive spent some time looking for something else to try that might fix this problem i have.

Simply, my motherboards ide 1 and 2 will NOT detect any hard drives i put on them. I have tried..

unplugging everything else first (pci, cd/dvd, fans) so its just the one drive, then 2 hard drives.. but no. this is BOTH ide channels and with ALL jumper combinations tried ( 1hhd + cable select = no detect, 1hdd master = no detect, 1hdd slave = no detect and master + slave = no detect)

Both my cd and dvd drives detect FINE in bios on either ide channel (1 or 2)

neither ide channel 1 or 2 works with my hard drives.. bios just wont detect them.

My motherboard is MSI MS-6701

p4 2.66, 1gb ddr ram, 256mb gforce video card, and now 400w psu (from pc world) and gaming atx case (also pc world).

I cant think of anything else to try or search so would be most grateful to anyone else that could suggest or help me as ive tried everything i know.

im really stuck and dont know what to do now, can anybody help?

thanks a lot

howard63 20:59 08 Sep 06

it could be a short from the mobo to the case. In this situation I remove the mobo from the case and place it on an isolator [clean dry newspaper will do at a push] then connect the wires from the psu and see if it makes a difference. If so you have to check that all supports line up correctly.

woodchip 21:03 08 Sep 06

Check BIOS and run Auto Detect Drives, See if the drive shows on first page

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:08 08 Sep 06

In BIOS check primary and secondary IDE channels are enabled. then go back to autodetect.

Could also be a faulty IDE cable / cable in wrong way round.

Also check jumper settngs on drive set single drive to master.

woodchip 21:11 08 Sep 06

For ribbon cable red wire should be near to power plug. I would say the cable is OK if it's the same one you used on the other drive

woodchip 21:14 08 Sep 06

One think we have forgot is if it's the only Drive on the Cable then it should be set to Master or Cable Select. If you have 2 drives then one should be Master or cable Select and the Other Slave or Cable select. Cable Select only works with a 80 wire ribbon. And if on Cable select they should both be on it

mh81 21:41 08 Sep 06

i removed it and mounted on newspaper then plugged it back in, 1 master on both ide 1 or 2 still no detect.

Tried a few cables (from working pc) and are in the correct way

mh81 21:44 08 Sep 06

bios detects cd/dvd roms on both ide 1 and 2 just not the hard drives

thanks for quick responses ; )

im going to put back in old case and see if its the same

woodchip 21:46 08 Sep 06

Looks like the Drive may be faulty

mh81 21:58 08 Sep 06

put it back into its original case+psu

in this case its mounted on some rubber things, its in correct, plugged in with vid card, master hdd on ide 1 or 2... still the same

any other suggestions?

(ive tried 3 hard drives, and the cd/dvd roms are working)

woodchip 22:00 08 Sep 06

Well they cannot all be duff so it may be you are not setting jumpers on the drive right etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…