ide to usb

filthyphil 08:41 10 May 07

hi there i have just got a ide to usb lead to try and get some info from my old hdd and a freinds hdd, when i connect the leads to the laptop and hdd nothing happens, is there something i am missing? or doing wrong apparently you just have to connect them together and hey presto you can access the old hdd. or so i thought i am now stumped can anyone help??
cheers phil..

Technotiger 08:52 10 May 07

Hi, I think it should have a Power Supply with it - you have not mentioned that.

filthyphil 08:56 10 May 07

hi again yes i used a power supply from my pc but to no avail. it said to make the spare hdd master but again no good so i tried a variety of configs again no avail? still stumped..?/?

Technotiger 09:00 10 May 07

Is it one like this ...

click here

or similar - if so I think it may need its own power supply as shown.

Technotiger 09:02 10 May 07

On the one I have shown, no jumper pin or ID settings are required.

filthyphil 09:05 10 May 07

the one i have i got from ebay in china and just has the 40/44 pin connector and usb connector thats all and a driver disk for win98 only it says xp auto detects and installs which doesnot happen

filthyphil 09:07 10 May 07

i may have to get the one you posted if that will work easier
thanks for your help Technotiger.

Technotiger 09:15 10 May 07

Hmm, only other thing I can suggest is to try it in a different USB port.

Technotiger 09:17 10 May 07

Also, connect it with laptop switched off then startup laptop - xp should recognise 'new' hardware.

filthyphil 09:18 10 May 07

i will try that one now many thanks

Technotiger 09:18 10 May 07

The one I have shown, is probably your best bet - the one you have may be faulty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…