IDE and SATA Drives Together

glen2409 15:42 31 Jan 08

Hi,

I hope you can help.

I currently have 2 IDE drives on my system, 1 master and 1 slave. I am looking at buying a new hard drive and I know SATA drives are alot more popular now.

Is it possible to run IDE and SATA together. The new hard drive woulkd be a SATA and I would want this as the boot/primary hard slive and one of the old IDE drives as secondary hard drive for images,music,etc.

My motherboard supports both IDE and SATA drives. I'm jsut not sure how these would be set up and if they work together.

Thanks

Diemmess 15:52 31 Jan 08

They do work together, but ultimately it depends on how many slots are available on your motherboard.

With my fairly new computer's mobo, I have several spare data slots for SATA but only one IDE.
This is feeding the DVD and has one slot available on the ribbon cable for another IDE device.

If you have available data cable sockets for SATA, then that is the way to go, there should be no nonsense about your computer accepting it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:01 31 Jan 08

If you want to boot from the SATA drive make sure it is in SATA slot 1.

glen2409 16:03 31 Jan 08

Thanks for your help. I have an ASUS M2V motherboard that has 2 Serial ATA with RAID 0 and 1. Does that make sense?

wotbus@ 16:41 31 Jan 08

Yes, it makes sense. Also when you fit a SATA drive (SATA1) you can simply add/remove PATA drives without messing with master/slave settings as they just show up as additional drives/storage.

wotbus@ 16:43 31 Jan 08

Note: RAID 0 and 1 and ways of setting up SATA HDD's but as you are looking to buy only one it doesn't apply in this case.

hssutton 17:14 31 Jan 08

I have the Asus M2NPV, I think this is much the same as yours. I have two IDE drives and two SATA with room for two more.

I have Vista Ultimate installed On the Ide Master and also on Sata 1, this works perfectly for me.

Just in case the question arises as to why Vista on both drives, on the SATA drive I run just Photoshop and Lightroom. All other programs are on the IDE drive

glen2409 18:56 01 Feb 08

Thanks for the replies.

Can you boot up from either then?

So there shoudln't be a problem having 2 IDE drives and 1 or 2 SATA drives then?

hssutton 19:35 01 Feb 08

Yes I just press f8 at start up, this brings up the boot manager.

No problems whatsoever using 2 IDE's and 2 SATA's

glen2409 15:26 02 Feb 08

Thanks for the replies, will give it a go

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…