IDE and SATA drives in the same computer

Carronade 22:56 23 Dec 07

The power supply on my 3-year old(80 Gb IDE hard drive) computer failed recently, diagnosis: a fault in the motherboard.The replacement was supplied with an 80 Gb SATA drive. The 'old' IDE drive was installed as the subsidiary drive in the new computer after loading a new Windows XP disc (accepted by Microsoft) but was not able to be read.
I then loaded the old drive into a caddy. The new SATA drive shows on drive E, according to Belarc. The old drive (C apparently) shows software which was installed on my formar computer but I am unable to locate my Document and Photos files on it.
(If it helps, I also tried loading the IDE drive into an older (800 Hhz) computer, but it did not want to know about it.)
Help will be greatly appreciated.

woodchip 23:02 23 Dec 07

In Windows Explorer you files and Pics are, or should be under Documents and Settings\Your User Name

Carronade 23:49 23 Dec 07

woodchip, thank you for your suggestion. I opened Windows Explorer - it only gives some of the software that was installed on the old computer.
I have had another look at Belarc and compared the info with an earlier report (for this new computer) and find that it gives under "Drives" (no identity letter)

80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
74.28 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

then

Local Drive Volumes
e: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 74.28 GB free

referring, I think, to

WDC WD800AAJS-00TDA0 [Hard drive] (80.02 GB) -- drive 0

since Device Manager shows only the same drive : WDC WD800, etc.

The old drive was set up with FATS 32, and the new one with NFTS. Could this be the key to the problem?

Carronade 23:54 23 Dec 07

Following on from the above, can I convert the new drive to FATS 32 - and would it help?
In theory I feel it should all be so simple!

DrScott 01:14 24 Dec 07

You could try just running a search on the old HDD for jpeg files and see what turns up. You can then find the location of the files you think you are missing.

Converting the new drive to FAT32 shouldn't make any difference I'm afraid, as it's being run as an external HDD.

I don't quite understand why the C: drive is your old IDE HDD?!

woodchip 19:05 24 Dec 07

NTFS can read Fat32 but not the other way round Fat32 cannot read NTFS. Your files should be as I said. Can you see the Docs Settings Folder?

woodchip 19:06 24 Dec 07

The old drive Was XP I presume?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos