IDE ribbon. possibly faulty?

second best 18:14 07 Nov 03

hi, i have a thread click here to do with the non recognition of my 2nd hdd, and i may have discovered the problem. it appears the firt connector on my IDE ribbon may be faulty. i have 2 hdd, one master one slave, the usual. master is fine(touch wood) bu thte slave seems to be having a prob being recognised and needs constant formatting. so i swaped the drives round on the ribbon, and now it appears the master is having a prob. swapped them back again and master is now fine once more. decided to leave the 2nd hdd off for now, till i can chak the ribbon. any advice on this plz?

MAJ 18:16 07 Nov 03

Change the ribbon cable?

second best 18:20 07 Nov 03

hi MAJ i will tomorrow, but i was wondering how the 2nd od the connections to the drive would be ok, if they are both obviously of the same ribbon. if there was a break in the ribbon, then surely it would affect eh one on the end as well. do you know what i mean?

MAJ 18:26 07 Nov 03

I know what you're getting at, second best. Those little connectors (the slave especially) fit onto the ribbon cable by piercing the cable with little "spikes" so making a connection. It's possible that that is where the problem lies.

second best 18:31 07 Nov 03

ok, thnks then. i'll check it out tomorrow. :))

TBH1 00:57 08 Nov 03

MAJ has probably hit the nail on the head - - those connections in the middle do sometimes fail.

TBH1 00:59 08 Nov 03

however, once when I needed one in a hurry, on a Sunday, had to get one from PC World, 14 squids - - - only 4 squids from local shop. Is the ? (pound)sign still playin up ???

TBH1 00:59 08 Nov 03

yep, still playin up

SEASHANTY 15:33 08 Nov 03

The new circular IDE 40 wire (80 connector) ide cables 45cm (master and slave offsets) are 5 quid plus vat from Microdirect, manchester. These round IDE cables assist a much better airflow inside the PC case than the ribbon cables. 90cm cables are also available for full tower systems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…