IDE ribbon advice

InTheCity 22:17 02 Mar 09

one hard drive a dvd rom and a dvd burner.Please advise ribbon type,and slave master etc.Theres been a bit of a mare and cables etc have been changed.

woodchip 22:24 02 Mar 09

You need to use both IDE channels, for three drives as one only supports up-to 2 drives. Get 80 wire ribbon cables put hard Drive one IDE 1 as Master, then on other on IDE 2 Set DVD on end ribbon cable plug set to Master, CD on middle plug, set to Slave

InTheCity 22:34 02 Mar 09

Thanks woodchip how important is the 80 wire?,Its working at the mo on 40.
So far the hd is attatched to the motherboard on a 40 on ide channel one,the dvd burner is on a 40 on secondary ide 2.Ive tried adding the rom on the same 40 as hd but run into problems.

woodchip 22:45 02 Mar 09

If you are on ATA Hard Drive then you need 80 for the Hard Drive at least as its faster data transfer rate

InTheCity 10:54 03 Mar 09

Thanks again,prior to my changing anything.
The set up inside was primary ide1(80 pin)blue to motherboard,black to hd0 and dvd rw on end plug.
secondary ide to dvd rom(40 pin).

Now the hd has been changed and following a try with the 80 ribbon it wouldnt boot up,so ribbon must have been faulty.I didnt have a 80 so used a 40 pin.
It works at the mo with 40 pin to ide primary and dvd rw on secondary ide.If i add dvd rom to either the primary or secondary as slave the pc wont boot.
Would this to do with ribbon,or ide controller or something else.
popping out back later.
Ps the pc had a lump hammer taken to it.Long storey!

Grey Goo 11:42 03 Mar 09

Do you have the jumpers set right

InTheCity 16:00 03 Mar 09

thanks Grey Goo and woodchip,
Changed the ribbon ,also changed the jumper on dvd rom(both set to master)

Doh,eyes arent what they used to be.

gazzaho 16:08 03 Mar 09

This may help you out click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…