IDE Raid Hardware Setup

slimbo51 08:08 27 Apr 04

Been given a couple of H/Drives, want to set them up in a raid array.

Have raid Motherboard.

Just wanted to know if the drives are setup in a normal config as per master and Slave when running of just one IDE port.

Also does anyone please know if their is normally anything very tricky about setting them up. I have the software for the M/Board with the raid controller on it.

Many thanks for any help.

slimbo51 08:12 27 Apr 04

Forgot to ask another question...?

Don't have enough power supplies on the main psu, but do have plenty of spare packs.
As they are switched mode supplies does anyone know how to turn the pack on externally of the normal computer power switch.

Which pins on the 20 pin block are the control pins for turning it on.

Many thanks once again.

€dstowe 08:17 27 Apr 04

Think carefully about what use a RAID setup would be to you and if you really need it.

RAID can be difficult or impossible to organise on an existing system and the advantages for most home/small office users are slight.

If you want to use the drives in you computer, get an IDE card that fits in a PCI slot and use them as extra drives.

€d

€dstowe 08:20 27 Apr 04

Don't mess around with computer power supply units. They only work in the environment they are supposed to work in (a computer) and using parts of them to power other things is not recommended.

You can buy Molex extenders/adapters/splitters from places like Maplin. They will give you the extra connectors you need.

Be careful, though, that the PSU is sufficiently powerful to provide what you want.

€d

slimbo51 19:14 27 Apr 04

Anyone know the answers please.

€dstowe 06:19 29 Apr 04

Instructions for setting up a RAID array will be on the manual provided for the motherboard. The detail of setting up varies from board to board. If you don't have the manual, you should be able to download it from the manufacturer's website.

An addition to my reply to your second question. Switching power supply units only function when attached to a load (i.e. the computer). Operating under non-load or partial load conditions can cause burnout. This burnout can be sometimes spectacular (loud bang and flash).

€d

slimbo51 08:08 29 Apr 04

Thanks Cdstowe, answered the question fine.

Will put a dummy load on output to simulate M/Board load.

My scope can determine load req.

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…