IDE Master/Slave settings

griffo 14:16 14 Dec 06

I'm sure I'm being thick here but I could use some help please.

I have replaced a duff MB and CPU and am trying to get the system working again. It's XP Pro, an Intel D820 with 1Gb ram. I have set the HD to Master on the first connector of the Primary IDE cable with a removeable HD caddy on the second connector (No HD in it at present but would set that to Slave when installed).

I have a CDRW set to Master on the first connector on the secondary IDE cable and a DVD (reader) set to Slave on the second connector.

I have the XP CD in the CD drive when starting, as I believe I have to do a windows 'repair' to delete old drivers etc. BUT the CD isn't running and I'm being asked what mode I want to boot into.

Can anyone spot what I've done wrong please?

Diodorus Siculus 14:21 14 Dec 06

Have you been into the BIOS to tell it to boot from CD?

click here

griffo 14:43 14 Dec 06

thanks for the response. I've just checked and, although it's detecting the maxtor HD as the Master, Slave not detected, on Primary (correct) and the CD as Master and DVD as Slave on Secondary, in Boot it only mentions CD??

Diodorus Siculus 14:47 14 Dec 06

I'm not sure what you mean.

What you need is to set the first boot device as CD (probably listed as ide2 or somthing) and put the CD in the drive. Shutdown and restart and you may get a message like

press any key to boot from CD.

griffo 14:55 14 Dec 06

sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to what it showed in the first screen of the BIOS. The in the BOOT screen, there isn't a list that reflects, the first screen - it only refers to CD. I pressed F10 and it still tries to boot either normal/safe etc. and then the dreaded blue screen.

Diodorus Siculus 15:05 14 Dec 06

In the BIOS do you see the option to set boot devices?

griffo 16:26 14 Dec 06

Heck I'm thick! Found it, XP now repaired, just got to try to convince Microsoft to re-authorise the installation and do hours of downloading updates!

Many thanks for your help, greatly appreciated, as always.

Diodorus Siculus 18:46 14 Dec 06

That's good news; thanks for the feedback!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…