IDE HDD into RAID adapter

AYJAY 09:18 16 May 05

I have purchased an Asus P5GDC mobo which has 1 IDE slot and 2 IDE RAID slots. I wish to connect a DVD R/W and 1 IDE HDD (for now). Using the IDE slot for the DVD means I will need to connect the HDD to the RAID one.As this will not require setting up a RAID array, can I just plug the HDD and let it roll, or will I need to set up something in the BIOS? The manual is no help here.

wx622 09:53 16 May 05

It looks like that your m/b really wants you you to use sata (there being 4 ports). But anyway, plug the DVD-RW into the ide port near the memory slots, and you can use the single HDD in one of the raid slots. I would suggest though, that you buy another identical HDD so you can utilise the raid. Otherwise, if and when you want to connect another HDD, you will have to reformat your drive you originally connected.

AYJAY 13:06 16 May 05

Thanks for that. Now this is where I really show my ignorance - can anyone tell me what's the difference between an Ultra DMA signal cable and an Ultra ATA signal cable, if indeed there is a difference?

AYJAY 13:38 16 May 05

To further show my ignorance - can anyone tell me what's the difference between an Ultra DMA signal cable and an Ultra ATA signal cable, if indeed there is a difference?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…